Sunday, March 19, 2006

Cockpit recess stripped

Well I finally got a bit of time to do some more work on the boat this weekend. I finished stripping the recessed cockpit area. Short strips were glued in place with the Lee Valley 2002 GF wood glue that I've used for most of the boat, but dabs of hot glue were used on the inner end of each piece to hold it in place so that I didn't have to wait for the glue to dry before moving on to the next series of strips. Dabs of hot glue were used here and there in other places too to ensure that all the short strips stayed where they were put. The whole recess took an ridiculous amount of time for something so simple. Next time I think I would seriously consider laying in a piece of thin, flexible plywood instead.

Stern to bow shot:

Bow to stern shot:
Side profile:The above photo shows how the recessed area lowers the final cockpit position, especially on the rear deck.

Finally, a frankensteinian panorama:
That's it the deck is practically finished right??....... (stay tuned to see what's in store next)

p.s. If anyone can tell me how to quickly do a passable job of adjusting the colours in a digital photo to have things look a little bit realistic, I'm all ears. I play with the colour balance, gamma, tone, brightness, contrast and that thing with the curve that does wicked things to a photo, with limited success at best. I've got all the tools, I know how to turn them on, but I don't properly understand what they do or when to use them. Most of my shop pictures turn out too orange maybe due to the colour of the wood and a light source with a warm tone as seen by the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment