Sunday, April 22, 2007

Coat 2.5

The 3rd coat was applied with the kayak on the sawhorses. I masked off the sheer line and varnished the deck. Then, after allowing the varnish to harden for a few hours, I flipped it over and did the same on the hull. In both cases the masking tape was removed within a few minutes of applying the varnish to each section. That way, the wet varnish could flow beyond the masked line without creating a dried varnish line. I called this post "Coat 2.5" because although I had 3 coats on the deck & 2 coats on the hull, I think it was really more like 1 1/2 on the hull because working on the underside I think I missed a few spots. I guess maybe I should have called it Coat 2.25 then.

A self portrait:

2 comments:

  1. That look great! I just started sanding the deck on my King, and this is inspiring me to work a little harder, and get the boat done ASAP. Nice work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow:) Bryan This is amazing craftmanship. It really is lovely

    ReplyDelete