Thursday, January 03, 2008

Roasted Tomato Dip

I came across this recipe for Roasted Tomato Dip today on Laurie March's website, WildernessCooking.com. I think I'll have to head to the grocery store to pick up some shallots and tomatoes then give the recipe a try.

I've made a shredded pork dish of Laurie's and it was great. We ate it fresh rather than dehydrating it for camping use but I'll have to make it again and dehydrate it for use next summer.

While perusing the Wilderness Cooking blog, I also came across this link to home-made hot sauces. It looks like I'll have to pick up some chiles while at the grocery store too!

By the way, you might also like Laurie's other sight: Outdoor Adventure Canada.

Update: Jan 29 '08 - I made the "Tropical Fire" hot sauce from the web site mentioned above on Saturday and it turned out great. I now have about 3 litres of a sweet mango-tasting hot sauce. It was made with double the mango, banana and kiwi from what was called for in the recipe, but no papaya (papayas in the local grocery were too expensive) and spanish onion instead of scallions (scallions were also too expensive). It has lots of kick, but is not too hot and very flavorful. I would rate the heat a 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment