Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Rolled, I Rolled! - I mean it this time!

I Rolled! No really, I mean it this time! (See my post from a couple of weeks ago.)


Last night at the tail end of the pool session for some kayak lessons I was assisting with there was time to just mess around in the kayaks. I was again playing with the paddle float for bracing and pseudo-rolling. I was concentrating on not putting much pressure on the float end of the paddle and bringing my head up last. At the prompting of one of the students I tried without the float, and it worked! I had full success about 6 times rolling on the right side! I'd screw it up some of the time and always it was because I forgot to bring the head up last or was otherwise putting too much pressure on the paddle. When it worked, it worked very well. I could not believe how effortless it was. It was a VERY good feeling.

Now, to practice, practice, practice until it becomes totally natural on both sides and in all conditions.

In the meantime, I gotta go finish getting my stuff together because I have kayak lessons to teach in the morning.

Bryan H. says I should start working on my butterfly roll next. (The video below is of some random person on Youtube doing a "butterfly roll".)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful blog. I like it so much. Thanks for awaking me.richmond virginia home builders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight I did about 20 rolls! Those whitewater kayaks make it pretty easy. Every once in a while it just wasn't working because for some reason I would forget the fluid motion that worked and be doing some other non-fluid motion that didn't work. It was a lot of fun playing with those little boats in the pool (wow, they spin on a dime!) and now I have water in every sinus in my head.

    ReplyDelete