Friday, May 27, 2011

National Lifejacket Day, 2011

National Lifejacket Day came and went & I missed it again (it was on May 19th). This is something I would help to promote if only I was reminded about it beforehand. To see my comments from last year's day, which I missed then too, see my post from almost exactly 1 year ago: http://pawistik.blogspot.com/2010/05/national-life-jacket-day.html. You can also see the CBC interview I did on the subject of PFDs (I checked and the link to the video still works).

I've entered the date into my calendar for next year, maybe I'll remember?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome to see a level headed approach to PFD usage. I like your approval of always using one yet against legislation to ensure 100% wearing at all times. That Ifully agree with. I can't think of many times I havent wore my PFD to be honest. Its just the easiest thing to put it on my body than store it in the kayak. Ican see if Iwas in a canoe on a clam day it would be inside most likely. Im willing to bet it's the CBSC's Mr Williams who was on after you on CBC last year. They have been pushing for it (PC is a member of the CBSC)however they seem to be meeting a big no from the government thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the complements. I'm never without the PFD on when in a kayak (except that time I forgot it on shore), and I almost always wear it when canoeing, though I believe it's my choice.

    I've never met Eric Williams in person, but I am quite certain that that was not him shown in the interview. His grandson, maybe. Mr. Williams must be in the ballpark of 70 years old.

    http://www.paddlecanada.com/about-us/board-of-directors.html

    I'm still curious who it is though, he's not a paddler I recall seeing before (he may not be a paddler, or he may not be local). I've never bothered contacting the reporter about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that wasn't Erik. I know him well and you are right, he is much older.

    Cheers,

    David J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either way "being the change you wanna see in the world" is important. I bleieve your approach your taking bryan will coinvince others to wear it moreso than legislation.

    I hang everything off my PFD/ put stuff in it. Being use to wearing a tatical vest a PFD usually feels right anyway!

    ReplyDelete